Re: Hotel networks (Was Re: Security for the IETF wireless network)

2014-07-25 08:40:44
On 7/25/14, 9:29 AM, John C Klensin wrote:
Steve,

I completely agree with your comment and suggestions (including
at least knowing hotel network capabilities in advance of
arrival), but note that at least some of the reason while the
hotel networks perform so badly under IETF meeting load is that
many of them are seriously underprovisioned at multiple points.
If the meetings team were to perform simple tests (that we
helped design) based on the number of people in that team, they
would be likely to get good information about capability
limitations (e.g., ports and options) but would be unlikely to
get sufficient information about performance under serious load.
Clearly, we could figure out how to run a load test, but I
assume it would take a lot of cooperation from the hotel (or
several hundred of us occupying rooms).

so,

We've taken the hotel's captive portal / nat platform /internet service
out of the path for the residential network for the week. We do this
where possible, and in cases where we cannot this is typically noted.

While wifi coverage, lre/dsl and internal topology are out of our
control, the hotel network is being served by the the IETF network and
has no restrictions respecting authentication, ports available,
middleboxes and so forth. There is nothing especially interesting to
report there.

best,
    john

--On Friday, 25 July, 2014 08:09 -0400 Steve Crocker