Re: Hotel networks (Was Re: Security for the IETF wireless network)

2014-07-25 14:32:16
On 25. Juli 2014 21:02:49 MESZ, Randall Gellens
<randy(_at_)qti(_dot_)qualcomm(_dot_)com> wrote:
I wish the IETF NOC could take over the networks of every hotel in
every city we visit, but I don't expect them to be able to.

sorry for my noise, but this may shorten the discussion:

Why not simply buy some kind of prepaid SIM card in the target country for i.e.
5-10 EUR/USD incl. some kind of "starter volume"? I hardly assume that most of
you have some kind of mobile 3.xG mobile terminal which is able to serve your
personal area network (PAN) by wifi, bluetooth or cable for these days?
Additionally there are meshes or hotspot initiatives who are open to guests for
free in many larger towns.

Since i was in a canadian branch of Mar*** hotel who "transparently relayed"
all SMTP and HTTP over their main location while blocking any TLS and SSL / SSH
/ VPN tunneling i know what i have to assume about such kind of "free hotel
networks".

At least for typical  pro IP users who knows to "use" available  IP bandwidth
this should be acceptable and a oeconomic alternative.

just my two cents,

Niels.
--
Niels Dettenbach