Re: Genart LC review: draft-ietf-conex-abstract-mech-12

2014-08-07 10:55:09
Matt,

I've sent suggested text to you for agreement before sending to Robert.

The issue with draft-kuehlewind-tcpm-accurate-ecn is different. We took the (interim) decision to use packets not bytes for feedback on the basis that the sender could then approximately reconstruct bytes if it needed to (because the sender can remember the sizes of the packets it sent). I say 'interim', because once we do the implementation, we will see how possible this is. I'm confident we can have a crack at it Linux. However, I wouldn't even want to attempt it in FreeBSD, which doesn't keep a record of packets in flight, so it would require a complete redesign.

You may be basing your view on the accecn presentation I gave, which was brief on this point. In the accecn draft it says:

"   If a particular sender behaviour needed to associate AccECN's
   feedback of each ECN marking with the size of the original packet
   that picked up the marking, there is enough information in AccECN
   feedback to do so, although perhaps imperfectly.  ...

                                                 ...to apply AccECN to
   these more challenging tasks, the Data Sender would probably have to
   record the sizes and/or timings of packets in flight and combine
   AccECN feedback with the cumulative acknowledgement numbers on each
   ACK as well as selective ACK (SACK) information [RFC2018].
"

Bob