Re: Genart LC review: draft-ietf-conex-abstract-mech-12

2014-08-08 10:32:26
Robert,

We're glad you found it accessible. Thank you for pointing out the inconsistency between this, 7141 & 6789 - I (Bob) am impressed given I was a co-author of all of them and I hadn't noticed. We have suggested edits below to remove the inconsistency, moving up the last para and adding some explanatory text (unlike the original text, it is not indented).

Ideally, RFC6789 should have said that its definition of congestion-volume is applicable to today's Internet and may change. Given most RFCs only apply to today's Internet, we don't think we need to go to the trouble of updating 6789. So, instead, we have qualified the applicability of 6789 in this document.

CURRENT:
   Whether to use bytes or packets is not obvious.  For instance, the
   most expensive links in the Internet, in terms of cost per bit, are
   all at lower data rates, where transmission times are large and
   packet sizes are important.  In order for a policy to consider wire
   time, it needs to know the number of congested bytes.  However, high
   speed networking equipment and the transport protocols themselves
   sometimes gauge resource consumption and congestion in terms of
   packets.

   This document does not take a strong position on this issue.
   However, a ConEx encoding will need to explicitly specify whether it
   assumes units of bytes or packets consistently for both congestion
   indications and ConEx markings (see network layer requirement E in
   Section 3.3).  It may help to refer to the guidance in [RFC7141].

   [RFC7141] advises that congestion indications should be interpreted
   in units of bytes when responding to congestion, at least on today's
   Internet.  In any TCP implementation this is simple to achieve for
   varying size packets, given TCP SACK tracks losses in bytes.  If an
   encoding is specified in units of bytes, the encoding should also
   specify which headers to include in the size of a packet (see network
   layer requirement F in Section 3.3).
SUGGESTED:
   Whether to use bytes or packets is not obvious.  For instance, the
   most expensive links in the Internet, in terms of cost per bit, are
   all at lower data rates, where transmission times are large and
   packet sizes are important.  In order for a policy to consider wire
   time, it needs to know the number of congested bytes.  However, high
   speed networking equipment and the transport protocols themselves
   sometimes gauge resource consumption and congestion in terms of
   packets.

   [RFC7141] advises that congestion indications should be interpreted
   in units of bytes when responding to congestion, at least on today's
   Internet.  [RFC6789] takes the same view in its definition of
congestion-volume, again for today's Internet.

   In any TCP implementation this is simple to achieve for
   varying size packets, given TCP SACK tracks losses in bytes.  If an
   encoding is specified in units of bytes, the encoding should also
   specify which headers to include in the size of a packet (see network
   layer requirement F in Section 3.3).

RFC 7141 constructs an argument for why equipment tends to be built so that the bottleneck will be the bit-carrying capacity of its interfaces not its packet processing capacity. However, RFC 7141 acknowledges that the position may change in future, and notes that new techniques will need to be developed to distinguish packet- and bit-congestion.

Given this document describes an abstract ConEx mechanism, it is intended to be timeless. Therefore it does not take a strong position on this issue.
   However, a ConEx encoding will need to explicitly specify whether it
   assumes units of bytes or packets consistently for both congestion
   indications and ConEx markings (see network layer requirement E in
   Section 3.3).  It may help to refer to the guidance in [RFC7141].

Regards

Bob Briscoe & Matt Mathis