Re: dmarc damage, was gmail users read on... [bozo subtopic]

2014-09-12 06:22:20

George Michaelson wrote:
Like many others here, I act as de-facto sysadmin to my partner. She wished to have a "nice" mail via @pobox.com <http://pobox.com> forwarded to here gmail account, *and* to keep her actual gmail ID less visible.

For a limited time, this seemed to work. perhaps 6months. But inevitably, the real underlying gmail address "leaks"

And, with the variance of policies, it is now unclear if the 'faked' @pobox.com <http://pobox.com> or @gmail.com <http://gmail.com> "actual" address is the one seen. This is also a function of Sender/From differentiation, and Envelope/Header differentiation.

I feel sad I can't guarantee to her a specific behaviour. This feels wrong. It feels like we've taken something out of the 822 Ecology by allowing Sender, From, Envelope to get mashed together.

Maybe it feels wrong because we HAVE taken something useful and important out of the 822 ecology by allowing Sender, From, Envelope to get mashed together.

Miles Fidelman