Re: Data on internet drafts/year?

2014-09-26 00:35:26

On Sep 25, 2014, at 9:44 PM, Melinda Shore
<melinda(_dot_)shore(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

Anyway, the total numbers are small but to the extent that we
no longer seem to be able to undertake new work without a "problem
statement" I'd suspect that this may be contributing to process
delays.

My understanding, possibly incorrect, is that the process delay is intentional.
A brief look at the RFC series and the internet drafts will tell you that we
often start a project with a solution looking for a problem. Our response has
been to ask for a problem statement draft, and then charter a working group
that is not authorized to create a solution without a charter change. I don’t
know how that doesn’t make the time interval from “I’d like to work on
something” to “solution delivered to IESG” longer.

We also have created a work ethic in which dithering is accepted.