Re: Data on internet drafts/year?

2014-09-26 00:43:23
On 9/25/14 9:35 PM, Fred Baker (fred) wrote:
My understanding, possibly incorrect, is that the process delay is
intentional. A brief look at the RFC series and the internet drafts
will tell you that we often start a project with a solution looking
for a problem.

That seems to mirror the situation in which we
seem to be seeing an increasing number of drafts describing a
problem for which there's not really any demand for a solution,
but it seems like an interesting problem (plus the question of whatever
incentives may or may not be provided by an employer to have
stuff working its way through the IETF process, regardless of
actual need).

At any rate I do think we're seeing a lot of low-quality problem
statement drafts.  The number of problem statement drafts is
clearly increasing and it may be the case that any time the
number of <whatever> goes up, the percentage of low-quality
<whatevers> increases, but still.  My core concern that we're
creating this process that requires going through a problem
statement/use cases/requirements/gap analysis/etc. ritual and
that actual protocol work doesn't happen for several years after
the work is chartered (then isn't published for several more
years).

Melinda