Re: Last Call: <draft-nottingham-safe-hint-05.txt> (The "safe" HTTP Preference) to Proposed Standard

2014-10-24 07:08:20
On 10/23/2014 10:06 AM, John Levine wrote:
  This specification defines a "safe" preference for HTTP requests,
  expressing a desire to avoid "objectionable" content.

I have read this draft and support its adoption.

It describes a very simple http option that is already adopted by
several widely used browsers and several popular web sites.  It would
be nice to document it on the standards track so other browsers and
web sites that implement it (which they will) do so in a compatible way.

+1

The arguments against this specification seem wholly to rely on pure
speculation, biased in one direction and with no special foundation to
justify the speculation. So, one could, just as easily, assert
/favorable/ speculation and claim that that demands publication.
Neither line of fantasy is very helpful to a standards process.

Worse, the speculation completely ignores that this is providing a
support mechanism for an existing capability.

I thought the IETF considered it useful to document existing practice.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking