Re: Last Call: <draft-nottingham-safe-hint-05.txt> (The "safe" HTTP Preference) to Proposed Standard

2014-10-24 16:10:44

On Oct 24, 2014, at 11:28 PM, John Levine <johnl(_at_)taugh(_dot_)com> wrote:

... The result is that there’s no way for a content provider to know
what a user means when their browser emits the “safe” hint, and no way for
the user
to know what kind of content they are going to get.

Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, and Google's Bing search
engine have already implemented it.  Could you please clarify why
Bing's implementation doesn't work?  On the Bong homepage at
http://www.bing.com, there's a gear icon at the upper right.  Click
that, and you'll find a discussion of their existing SafeSearch
feature that may be helpful.

So is the Prefer: Safe header the same as “Moderate SafeSearch”, or “Strict
SafeSearch”. Because apparently they need two bits of information, not just one.

Youtube and Goodle Search have just one bit. Flickr, deviantArt have multiple
bits.

At the bottom of Google's search page at https://www.google.com is a
"Settings" button.  If you click that, you'll find that one of the
settings is an option called SafeSearch that you can turn on and off.
It's currently implemented in a cookie, but I hope it's obvious how
they could use the safe hint to turn on the same setting.  Can you
clarify why this feature doesn't work, and why using the safe hint
would make it worse?

Section 3 mentions YouTube. That is actually a perfect example of what I
mean. Sites
like YouTube, deviantArt, Flickr, and Wattpad, even Wikipedia provide
user-generated
content.How are they to decide what is and isn’t “safe”?

I'm just guessing, but my guess is that they will do it exactly the
way they do right now.  If you look at https://www.youtube.com and
scroll to the bottom of the page, you will see a box where it says
"Safety" Off" or "Safety: On".  If you click it, they show a short
summary of what it means,

True, except that with a browser hint, you don’t get to see the site-specific
explanation of what “safe” means.

Yoav