Re: suggestion for the next IETFs

2014-10-27 06:51:50

Dave,

All agreed, but we currently pick locations based on geographic
locality to participants - maybe picking them based on visa
availability for participants might be more useful?

Dave.

As Yaov says, this really depends on "participants." Malaysia would be
a great location for an IETF meeting (cheap, well-connected by air,
etc), but Yaov would have some real challenges in getting a visa, it
would be possible, but require special procedures.

And "visa availability" is sadly a highly dynamic and unpredictable
variable. We had one IETF meeting  a couple of years ago where 77
[potential] attendees from China asked for invitation letters and
only 27 were able to get a visa in time. We have no idea what it
was at the time that made this [not] happen, nor can we predict the
decision time for US visas.

There probably ARE places in the world that would allow "everyone"
to attend, but it's not at all clear we would find a suitable venue
and even less clear the community would agree on the definition
of "suitable". Remember, this is a community who cannot agree on
the definition of "approximately" :-)

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher
The Internet Protocol Journal
Office: +1 415-550-9433
Cell:   +1 415-370-4628
docomo: (090) 3337-9311
Orange UK: +44 7805 977889
Web: protocoljournal.org
E-mail: olejacobsen(_at_)me(_dot_)com
E-mail: ole(_at_)protocoljournal(_dot_)org
Skype: organdemo