RE: Last Call: <draft-ietf-manet-nhdp-optimization-03.txt> (An Optimization for the MANET Neighborhood Discovery Protocol (NHDP)) to Proposed Standard

2014-11-11 04:02:08
No, it updates RFC 6130. Yes RFC 7181 uses RFC 6130, but it’s not the only
thing to do so. Marking it as updating everything that uses RFC 6130 is not
what’s done.

--
Christopher Dearlove
Senior Principal Engineer, Information Assurance Group
BAE Systems Advanced Technology Centre
Tel: +44 1245 242194 |  Fax: +44 1245 242124
chris(_dot_)dearlove(_at_)baesystems(_dot_)com<mailto:chris(_dot_)dearlove(_at_)baesystems(_dot_)com>
 | http://www.baesystems.com

BAE Systems (Operations) Limited
Registered Office: Warwick House, PO Box 87, Farnborough Aerospace Centre,
Farnborough, Hants, GU14 6YU, UK
Registered in England & Wales No: 1996687

From: Abdussalam Baryun [mailto:abdussalambaryun(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com]
Sent: 07 November 2014 15:10
To: Dearlove, Christopher (UK)
Cc: adrian(_at_)olddog(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org; Thomas
Heide Clausen (thomas(_at_)thomasclausen(_dot_)org)
Subject: Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-manet-nhdp-optimization-03.txt> (An
Optimization for the MANET Neighborhood Discovery Protocol (NHDP)) to Proposed
Standard

*** WARNING ***
This message originates from outside our organisation, either from an external
partner or the internet.
Consider carefully whether you should click on any links, open any attachments
or reply.
For information regarding Red Flags that you can look out for in emails you
receive, click
here<http://intranet.ent.baesystems.com/howwework/security/spotlights/Documents/Red%20Flags.pdf>.
If you feel the email is suspicious, please follow this
process<http://intranet.ent.baesystems.com/howwework/security/spotlights/Documents/Dealing%20With%20Suspicious%20Emails.pdf>.
The optimisation is only when there is link quality, the link quality is
optional use within our standard RFC7181, so this proposal updates the 7181
while it uses the optional link quality feature.

AB

On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 1:58 AM, Dearlove, Christopher (UK)
<chris(_dot_)dearlove(_at_)baesystems(_dot_)com<mailto:chris(_dot_)dearlove(_at_)baesystems(_dot_)com>>
 wrote:
Adrian Farrel
AB
2- The draft mentions in the introduction:- This modification is
strictly optional,

[AB] the reviewer suggests to include in the ID-Abstract that this
standard is optional. It is not enough to only mention in the
introduction such important information.

Good point.

The abstract does actually say "to permit", which indicates this is not
mandatory. But we can add the word optional to that.

Regarding the title, there's a usual tradeoff between brevity (and it's already
not brief) and detail. I wouldn't add the suggests "based on link quality" as
that really adds nothing useful (it's not an optimisation based on link
quality, it's an optimisation to remove a side-effect of the use of link
quality). To be a useful lengthening of the title, it would, I think, have to
mention something about the two hop neighbourhood. I haven't consulted with my
co-author, but my proposal would be to see if anyone on the IESG has a problem
with the title as-is.

--
Christopher Dearlove
Senior Principal Engineer, Information Assurance Group
BAE Systems Advanced Technology Centre
Tel: +44 1245 242194<tel:%2B44%201245%20242194> |  Fax: +44 1245
242124<tel:%2B44%201245%20242124>