Re: Cited documents, was Status of RFC 20

2014-12-09 16:33:27
On Tue, Dec 09, 2014 at 08:45:28AM -0800, Dave Crocker wrote:
Well, there is certainly a higher barrier to access for a paper document
or one behind a paywall than there is for something that is only one
click away.

Yes, and a sensible author would provide the easy access method were
it stable.  But I'm not happy about making a new rule or even
publishing new guidance here, because this creates an opportunity for
yet more ratholes where people have a fight about whether something is
easy enough to get to (do you need to register?  Blah blah) or stable
enough (is online the "primary" publication? &c &c).  I agree with
John that this is making a rule where we don't need one.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(_at_)anvilwalrusden(_dot_)com