Mailing lists [Last Call: <draft-farrresnickel-harassment-05.txt> (IETF Anti-Harassment Procedures) to Best Current Practice]

2015-03-13 23:34:13
On 14/03/2015 14:39, Spencer Dawkins wrote:

If the community thinks that if you're excluded from meetings, you're also
excluded from mailing lists, that's pretty much fatal
for any IETF management position I've ever served in (WG draft editor, WG
chair, IAB member, and AD). So, that's definitely
worth discussing.

I think it is necessary to treat these two things as orthogonal. If someone
has been misbehaving in personal dealings with one or more individuals,
that is very different from misbehaving in public on a mailing list. So I
don't see why sanctions intended to prevent* face-to-face personal
dealings would naturally carry over into sanctions that prevent public
mailing list misbehaviour. Also, we already have the latter, and running
code to show that they are implementable (unlike the recall procedure).

*The draft states that the "purpose of the anti-harassment policy is to
prevent all incidents of harassment in the IETF... any remedy is imposed
to try to make sure that the incident does not escalate and to ensure that a
similar situation is unlikely to occur with the same Respondent in the future."

    Brian