Re: As if you don't have enough to read..

2015-03-14 17:04:13

First I can personally testify to the fact that FCC staff is more than
willing to meet with individuals that can help them understand problems.
Been there done that. Of course you have to be in DC if you want to meet
face to face and you must be willing to disclose the meeting in a simple
letter that is filed with the Commissions ECFS system ( on their web site)
that describes the meeting its general subject matter and reference the
appropriate issue (Docket) that the subject matter covers.

If you want to make a simple contribution as a subject matter expert the
procedure is the same.   State your case and address it to the famous Ms.
Marlene H. Dortch PDF is accepted.  Yes staff do read these things. BTW the
procedure is roughly the same in Canada with the CRTC and other National
Regulatory Authorities.

Phillip if you don¹t help the government staff understand things then the
there is a real risk of bad things happening.  We are seeing an increasing
number of issues that do require substantial technical input from our
community.  The days of purely technical discussions operating in isolation
is long gone.  Ask the biologists.

For instance RAI is spending a great deal of time looking at the Caller ID
spoofing problem to see if there appropriate technologies that can help
protect consumers as well as the network.   Securing the IP address space
its almost endless now.

Believe me a lot of people are still worried about interference with the
existing IP transit peering agreements ,  but the current trend in SIP based
voice communications is to go to the bill and keep model ( at least in North
America) in fact the FCC ordered it to be implemented by 2020.