RE: I-D.farrresnickel-harassment - timebomb

2015-03-24 11:37:06
I have some small issues with the wording abstracted below.  Hopefully it is
clearer
(or at least less ambiguous) generally, than it is to me.

In the (green) text below, it is ambiguous as to what "prohibited by applicable
law"
applies to - the definition, or the harassment it defines.  Intuitively, I
suspect that
it is meant to apply to the harassment.

But it is not impossible for some applicable law(s) to explicitly limit the
definition of
harassment, and this might be used by malicious individuals to excuse behavior
that
might clearly be considered harassment in almost any other context.

I don't know (for certain) about the legal issues with the precise wording, but
I'm
reasonably sure this could be worded more clearly.  For example:

"Any form of harassment defined as prohibited  by applicable law can be subject
  to this set of procedures."

As for why this may have been suggested in the first place, it is blatantly
obvious
that any organization that allows harassment (however it may be defined) is also
likely to be held accountable for it as the person (or persons) who perpetrate
the
harassment itself.

For that reason, I suspect that this was suggested in order to provide a degree
of
protection for the IETF, by indicating that an individual that feels they are
being
harassed (again by any definition with any applicable legal basis) can avail
them-
selves of the procedures being defined.

This does not seem unreasonable to me.

--