Re: I-D.farrresnickel-harassment - timebomb

2015-03-20 10:57:31
At 10:35 AM 3/20/2015, John C Klensin wrote:
In that sense, an "applicable law" provision changes nothing
because its presence or absence does not restrict the issues
that can be raised.

I want to nit this a bit.   The problem with the applicable law provision is
that it blurs the line between what's important to the IETF (e.g. directed
harassment of pretty much any color that affects the standards process) with a
whole lot of things that can "legally" be considered harassment depending on
time, place and participant(s).  If it affects the IETF process, we raise it
internally and we resolve it with the remedies at hand (mediation, separation
and exclusion).   If its also  (or only) a "legal" issue, we direct the
affected participants to engage elsewhere and keep our mitts out of that part
of it.

I would say that John's example is pretty much the definition of directed
harassment affecting the standards process.  However,  the mere fact that
participant A insults participant B is not necessarily an IETF issue (and I'm
glad of this or many of us on this list would have already been excluded).
Doing so in a manner that prevents B from fully participating in the IETF
probably is.

Mike