Re: I-D.farrresnickel-harassment - timebomb

2015-03-19 17:48:30

--On Thursday, March 19, 2015 18:15 -0400 "Joel M. Halpern"
<jmh(_at_)joelhalpern(_dot_)com> wrote:

PS: While one can indeed decline the advice of attorney, one
needs to be very sure of the reasons for the advice, and the
implications of declining, before doing so.

IANAL and have no clue about local laws in any of the places
where the IETF is scheduled to meet in the next few years, but
it is my understanding from a briefing or three that
anti-harassment and similar statutes and case law in some places
can make an organization legally complicit in the bad acts if
they have a policy or procedure and are asked to enforce local
rules and don't.  I'd be curious (but don't need to know) if
that is part of what the attorneys had in mind, but, if it was,
that problematic language may offer significant protection to
the IETF.

   john