Re: I-D.farrresnickel-harassment - timebomb

2015-03-19 21:56:35
On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 05:32:18PM -0500, Spencer Dawkins at IETF wrote:
On Mar 19, 2015 5:16 PM, "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh(_at_)joelhalpern(_dot_)com>
wrote:

I read "local law" as meaning the law where the interaction is taking
place.

As did I.

But that's not necessarily what a court might believe.  The UK is famous
for its libel law's extensive reach.  An event need not have any
relation to such a court's physical jurisdiction, and yet they might
claim jurisdiction anyways.  Be careful.

While that can get very complicated for electronic interaction, for the
example you chose to cite it is very clear.  If Charlie Hebdo's cover
violates local law where you are reading it, you have chosen to ask for
more trouble than just a discussion with the IETF harrasment ombudsman.

Indeed.

+1.