Re: We should drop the useless urn: prefix

2015-03-26 13:42:42

Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill(_at_)hallambaker(_dot_)com> wrote:
    > Since urns are not a distinct syntactic category, the justification
    > for the urn: prefix disappears. It is not only useless, it is
    > unnecessary. There is no circumstance in which a urn subscheme and a
    > uri scheme should be allowed to have divergent meanings.

    > Why make people write urn:ietf:rfc:2648 when ietf:rfc:2648 is sufficient?

I must agree.
This distinction has always confused me.

This is also a situation where we (the IETF) have failed to put our money
where our mouth is.... where is the ietf:rfc URN resolution service? Where is
the reference code?

]     mcr(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on
rails    [