Re: Use of private OIDs in WG (standard-track) documents

2015-03-28 08:47:43
Hi Philip,

were those OIDs that for PKCS from RSA ? Is there any other example of this happening in the last 5/10yrs ? I think that allowing this as a common practice is a bit dangerous.
Is this the official position of IETF ?

BTW, I think that once the sub-tree of the OID is assigned to the company, that is in complete control of that company - that is why we have the private OIDs in the first
place.

If this is a practice that IETF should discourage, should we have a clear policy written
somewhere that we can all adhere to ?

I would like to know the official IETF position on this issue.

Cheers,
Max