Re: FTP Service Discontinuance Under Consideration; Input Requested

2015-04-03 13:50:55
On 04/04/2015 07:20, John C Klensin wrote:
And, as to "encrypt everything" for RFC-like documents, I hope
we continue to be thoughtful about security measures and where
they are needed.  It would be most unfortunate if we reduced the
openness of the network or our processes in the interest of
better protecting documents (or even access to them) that are
supposed to be completely public.

True. But on the other hand, imagine a person living in a country
with unpleasant laws who wished to obtain a copy of, say, RFC 1984
or RFC 2804 without revealing to the authorities that she is doing
so. So there needs to be provision for secure retrieval.

(That said, I have no use case for continued FTP access.)

   Brian