Re: FTP Service Discontinuance Under Consideration; Input Requested

2015-04-03 14:11:34

--On Saturday, April 04, 2015 07:50 +1300 Brian E Carpenter
<brian(_dot_)e(_dot_)carpenter(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

True. But on the other hand, imagine a person living in a
country with unpleasant laws who wished to obtain a copy of,
say, RFC 1984 or RFC 2804 without revealing to the authorities
that she is doing so. So there needs to be provision for
secure retrieval.

Sure.  And preferably retrieval without identifying that one is
touching the hypothetically-evil IETF and its web sites at all.

(That said, I have no use case for continued FTP access.)

Noting that such a person would have even more difficulties if
he or she actually wanted to participate in IETF discussions and
that we don't, e.g., offer secure and untraceable methods for
posting to our mailing lists, let's just avoid making those of
us who don't have those constraints and who are participating
less productive in the interest of serving that hypothetical and
very limited case.

    john