Re: FTP Service Discontinuance Under Consideration; Input Requested

2015-04-08 20:17:40
On 07/04/2015 13:18, C. M. Heard wrote:
I frequently use FTP to retrieve the mailing list archves.  I am
unable to divine how to use HTTP to retreive the mail archive files
at ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/ (meaning the ones in mbox
format).  If there is a way to do so I would be happy to do so using
wget.  I should note in passing that there are numerous links to
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/ and its subfolders on the IETF
web site; if the FTP service is discontinued those will need to be
fixed.

Also, what will be done about the RFCs that contain direct references to
ftp sources; just in the ones hanging around on my laptop I found these:

rfc2418.txt:         located at ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive.  For
rfc3160.txt:   ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/.  If you don't find the
list
rfc3160.txt:      ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1id-guidelines.txt
rfc3356.txt:      ftp://ftp.ietf.org/rfc/rfc-index.txt
rfc3356.txt:      ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/1id-abstracts.txt
rfc4677.txt:   at ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/ or they are in a
web-based

Not quite zero cost, since we never change RFC text.

BTW there is mention in the SOW for the IETF website revamp of a directory
/ietf-ftp/. However, there is no mention in the SOW of any URLs like
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/* needing to be preserved, and that seems to be a bug in
the SOW. At the least, it seems that the question of the FTP service needs
to considered as part and parcel of the website revamp, not as if it was
a stand-alone issue, which it clearly isn't. We, for some value of "we",
should have spotted that more than a year ago.

   Brian