Re: Cost was Re: FTP Service Discontinuance Under Consideration; Input Requested

2015-04-07 23:02:57
and not risk making more IETF
URLs uncool because you don’t think URL stability is important
enough.

Some background: http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI.html
“Cool URIs don’t change”.

So I propose that the IAOC take as an operational requirement, not to be broken
without explicit community review, that .ietf.org URLs never change in the
sense they never go 404, never reused for a different purpose.

W3C has struggled with this policy but mainly has succeeded, and I think it’s
an important topic that would also determine this single instance of turning
off resolution for for ftp://ietf.org URLs.

Larry
—
http://larry.masinter.net