Re: Help with tools/process to review a draft

2015-04-11 01:04:47
Hi Mukom,

I agree there should be a review process but I think it is very
free/flexible in IETF. My confusion when I first reviewed and participated,
was that I didn't get any respond from authors/editors (even if I put it on
the WG list), some time they wait for discussions which is not a good
practice/process and few times they just ignore to reduce the discussion
traffic related to their draft. The most important process in IETF is the
discussions on the draft's WG list. I remember that the Routing Area
Director replied to me that if there is no reply then I can send him a
message for requesting a reply. Therefore, my advise/suggest for the best
practice is:-

1- We are part of IETF, so Your reviews and Comments are important and are
part of the IETF-process, but only when you send it to IETF addresses or
when you present them in IETF meetings.
2- Make your draft review present to the discussion lists (WG list even if
not requested, or to IETF list if requested by IETF last call).
3- You MUST get a reply from at least one participant or one editor/author,
and make discussions. That can be tracked by the sender.
4- If no reply, send a message to the WG Chair and the AD (to their ietf
addresses), because they SHOULD follow up with the WG-process.
5- Each IETF list needs to have some one that volunteers to look into
reviews and reply to build discussion or to guide for draft-edits.
6- Make your changes to the draft and don't wait for editors to change the
draft, just write OLD statements, and NEW statements. The editors MUST
follow your changes in the next revision if there was no objections.
7- The IETF tools are still under development, and your/our reviews to
tools are recommended as well :-). There is no track of plans or
discussions, sometimes the meeting minutes miss some points, however, we
SHOULD volunteer to make our work more track able.

Thanks,

AB

On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 9:57 PM, Mukom Akong T.
<mukom(_dot_)tamon(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
wrote:

Hello,

I volunteered to review a draft during the last meeting in Dallas. As this
is my first time, I'd like to get any advice about the most effective way
to do this:

- is there a recommended process?
- are there recommended tools (i assume plain text editor)
- how do I track changes? (apart of a diff of both files)
- how do I report back to the WG the results of my review?

I'm probably over-thinking this but I'll gladly take all the help I can
get.

--

Mukom Akong T.

http://about.me/perfexcellence |  twitter: @perfexcellent

“When you work, you are the FLUTE through whose lungs the whispering of
the hours turns to MUSIC" - Kahlil Gibran