Re: IESG Statement on surprised authors

2015-05-31 14:46:22
On 5/31/15 11:36 AM, Spencer Dawkins at IETF wrote:
The more I hear about the cases I know about, the more most sound like
misunderstandings.

I think this is clearly the case, but it's probably worth mentioning
that sometimes that misunderstanding is not whether or not a given
individual has participated in a meaningful way, but rather a
misunderstanding of the IETF, in which people promoting a piece of
work feel that it's advantageous to show orchestrated support for
a draft by trying to develop an author list for political reasons
rather than technical ones.  Because this happens from time to time
I'm grateful to Heather for her clear policy statement on this from
the RFC Editor side, and to Brian for his work on developing an IETF
statement clarifying what authorship actually entails.

Melinda