Re: IESG Statement on surprised authors

2015-05-31 17:33:41
We do automatically notify authors when new drafts are posted, which
should usually alert surprised authors to the problem.

At this point the damage is already done: the surprised author now has to publicly accuse the other author(s) of surprising them, which is really burdensome and which said surprise author kit find completely unpalatable for any number of reasons. This is not a solution.

I think it's as much of a solution as we can afford. For all the heat this topic has provoked, the large majority of drafts with multiple authors are sent in with the consent of all the authors. Anything that makes it harder to surprise an author also makes it harder to be a legitimate co-author. Given the amount of work already required to move an idea from -00 draft to RFC it seems to me inadvisable to add another hoop to jump through.

From the discussion so far, it appears that most surprised authors are due
to misunderstandings, not malice. So in the rare event that someone disclaims authorship, the usual response would be oh, sorry, I'll resubmit without you and that should be that. If it becomes a pattern or otherwise shows malice, that would be a problem but it doesn't seem like one we have to solve now, if ever.

Also, for better or worse the IETF has never tried to identify people online beyond their e-mail addresses. I'm reasonably sure I know who you are because I've talked to you at meetings, but there are plenty of people who've don't come to meetings and contribute anyway, so all we have to go on is the address. Since any e-mail verification can be trivially circumvented with a fake address, it doesn't seem wise to build yet another steel door on a cardboard box.

Regards,