Re: discussion style and respect

2015-06-10 16:26:10
On 6/10/2015 9:40 PM, Michael StJohns wrote:
Through "consensus", we include things that are strongly presented,
vigorously defended, said by people with gravitas applicable to the
technology[, technically good], and not shouted down.  It may be that
the style of interaction that you're complaining about is more related
to the "consensus" process than to any other element.   If may be that
if you want to change the confrontational style, you're going to have to
change the way things become standards.

In spite of formal voting, some other standards groups either explicitly
or implicitly use a unanimity (not 'rough) consensus model.  Still, they
do not suffer anything approaching quantity of rude and disrespectful
behavior that we tolerate and, arguably, condone.

Adult, respectful behavior occurs when it is required.  We don't require
it.

Not really.

d/

ps.  Periodic, generic -- albiet heartfelt -- pleas for better behavior
might be necessary, but they have had no effect -- ever -- in almost 30
years.

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking