Re: discussion style and respect

2015-06-10 22:57:18
On Jun 10, 2015, at 6:45 PM, Melinda Shore
<melinda(_dot_)shore(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
I think it comes down to a few things: 1) bad chairing, 2)
we do a bad job socializing new participants, and 3) a
lot of our participants aren't willing to concede any
points.  The third issue is, I think, a combination of
our poor work socialization new participants and a lot
of newer participants having employment incentives around
"winning" at standards work.

Yup.  And being a good chair is hard, and not particularly pleasant unless you
get off on fostering consensus. Of course, that is rather rewarding,,,