Re: discussion style and respect

2015-06-11 02:50:50
Hi Yoav,

On 6/11/15 7:46 AM, Yoav Nir wrote:
On Jun 11, 2015, at 12:58 AM, Michael StJohns
<mstjohns(_at_)comcast(_dot_)net> wrote:

Let me try this again.

1) Is my description of the IETF process reasonably close to reality?  E.g.
does the consensus process contribute to "Standardization by Combat”?
Perhaps. But the best tactic for winning this kind of combat in the IETF is
not to shout louder than others. The best tactic is to get a small group
around you (preferably not all from the same company), insist on your
position and refuse to budge. Then wait it out until your opponents grow
tired and walk away.

That's exactly what I witnessed.  I am ashamed to say that I did not
myself say something more at the time (although I was in a very awkward
position to do so).

It is up to chairs to prevent this kind of outcome. I mean, we think of
tenacity as a good quality but it shouldn’t override all others. One way is
to encourage reaching consensus quickly. Long discussions tend to favor the
tenacious.

It's also up to us as individuals to call out bad behavior, and for all
of us to recognize that just because something is said more than once
doesn't make it any more true (or false).  And so, my challenge to the
leadership: how shall we address this problem?  I'd like to at least
know that the problem is recognized.

Eliot