Re: discussion style and respect

2015-06-11 00:47:25

On Jun 11, 2015, at 12:58 AM, Michael StJohns
<mstjohns(_at_)comcast(_dot_)net> wrote:

Let me try this again.

1) Is my description of the IETF process reasonably close to reality?  E.g.
does the consensus process contribute to "Standardization by Combat”?

Perhaps. But the best tactic for winning this kind of combat in the IETF is not
to shout louder than others. The best tactic is to get a small group around you
(preferably not all from the same company), insist on your position and refuse
to budge. Then wait it out until your opponents grow tired and walk away.

It is up to chairs to prevent this kind of outcome. I mean, we think of
tenacity as a good quality but it shouldn’t override all others. One way is to
encourage reaching consensus quickly. Long discussions tend to favor the
tenacious.

Yoav