Re: Randomness sources for the IETF 2015-2016 Nomcom Selection

2015-06-23 13:20:51

On Jun 23, 2015, at 9:12 PM, Eric C Rosen <erosen(_at_)juniper(_dot_)net>
wrote:

Speaking as the person who actually picked these lotteries and numbers:

Wouldn't it be simpler and just as effective to pick the names of the nomcom
members out of a hat?  Just make sure to give it a good shake first.

Or do people really think that the main problem in selecting good IESG
members is that the process that selects the nomcom members is insufficiently
random?

Picking out of a hat is random enough. It’s just not very verifiable. I’m not
saying that Harald would manipulate the draw, but some people might and we
won’t be able to prove to them that the process was not manipulated.

Yoav