Re: Call for comment: <draft-iab-doi-04.txt> (Assigning Digital Object Identifiers to RFCs)

2015-07-03 11:58:57
On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 6:51 AM, Randy Bush <randy(_at_)psg(_dot_)com> wrote:

i would appreciate hearing from actual publishing academics on the
subject if doi would help them.
Yes, it helps. This is one of the standard pieces of metadata that
libraries use, and being able to provide a DOI makes things easier and
bring the RFC series into line with typical best practice for academic
publishing.

really?  i am told by uk peers that it is similar to what Riccardo wrote.

Getting tenure in the UK is impossible because it was abolished by Margaret
Thatcher's government in the 1980s. I was on the University Court and
Council at the time we were forced to change the statutes.

While there is a promotion system that is largely driven by publications,
that is going to have to make major adjustments over the next few years as
the Cameron Government decided to make publication in free to the public
journals a requirement of all government research grants.