Re: Call for comment: <draft-iab-doi-04.txt> (Assigning Digital Object Identifiers to RFCs)

2015-07-06 10:36:44
On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 10:59 AM, Leif Johansson <leifj(_at_)mnt(_dot_)se> wrote:

Does the format of DOIs affect the IETF as a whole? Really?

It could be argued that by adopting DOIs for IETF documents we are
precluding the development of an IETF document identifier.

I don't think this is a valid concern though since we do not have the
resources to support a DOI type document registration model for free, nor
do we have the infrastructure to charge.

If we were going to do something of this type it would inevitably involve
SHA-2/SH-3 digests of the document and some form of human readability
gloss. Something like this for example:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hallambaker-udf-00

But what we are looking to do here is limited to allowing academics to get
some degree of tenure track credit for IETF work and in the short term DOIs
are the only game in town.

In the longer term schemes like UDF and ni:/nih: are going to be the way
forward. But those will only make sense after there is an infrastructure to
support persistent archiving.