Re: Call for comment: <draft-iab-doi-04.txt> (Assigning Digital Object Identifiers to RFCs)

2015-07-07 05:10:37
I think you'd be extremely
hard-pressed to find an organization that can't track down
a publicly-available document that doesn't have a DOI
assigned.  DOIs would not make RFCs easier to find and use.

Hi there.

A long time ago, somone added all of the RFCs up to that time to the
ACM digital library.  They're still there.  Here's a typical one:

http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=RFC0959&coll=DL&dl=GUIDE&CFID=690945111&CFTOKEN=66477025

Click on the "Get this RFC" link, and you will find a page that offers
to sell you a copy for $15.  If we updated the indexes and included
DOIs, it'd be our DOI which links directly to our free stuff.

If you dig through the archives of this list, you will find a snarky
thread in which someone found a power industry standard that
referenced an RFC, I think the one for TCP.  It provided a link to
Global Engineering Documents, who would sell you a printed copy for
about $40.  Again, now that our references have DOIs, that's likely to
show up when people reference them, a robust way to let people get to
our free resources.

R's,
John

PS: Thanks for the assertion that I have no idea what I'm
talking about.