Re: Call for comment: <draft-iab-doi-04.txt> (Assigning Digital Object Identifiers to RFCs)

2015-07-09 11:48:16
On 07/09/2015 12:33 PM, Joel M. Halpern wrote:
Did anyone earlier ask the RFC Editor to change the reference format for RFCs from RFCxyzw to urn:ietf:rfc:xyzw?

I don't know about "changing the reference format", but such references (both human- and machine-readable) should include the URNs.

And if the RFC Editor made such a change, would it help any user of the RFCs in understanding or following the reference?

URN resolution services (several of which do exist) could add 'ietf' to the set of URN namespaces that they support. The RFC Editor already makes the information available in machine-readable format, it just doesn't include the URNs.

Ideally IETF and/or RSE should operate an authoritative resolution service for the 'ietf' URN namespace. I'd be happy to supply the code.

Keith