Re: Call for comment: <draft-iab-doi-04.txt> (Assigning Digital Object Identifiers to RFCs)

2015-07-07 12:28:58

--On Tuesday, July 07, 2015 10:04 -0700 Dave Crocker
<dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote:

On 7/7/2015 9:52 AM, John C Klensin wrote:
iven Dave Crocker's recent comments about I-Ds, Statements,
etc. (better examples than mine about possible additional
series, btw), it would also be good for someone who actually
knows to assure us that the contract is strictly limited to
RFCs or RFC Editor projects and cannot be used to expand the
obligation (or "request") to other IETF publications.

Uh, no.  I want it to be /easy/ to expand into those other
uses.  Not 'required' of course but easy if we wish to.

Wfm, modulo the observations you have already made about the
costs of making supposedly-transitory documents permanent.  You
didn't include, e.g., Jabber logs of WG meetings in your lists,
but we could, in principle, apply DOIs to those too.

What I would like to understand about the contract is whether it
would allow us to simply start issuing identifiers for other
types of documents or whether it applies only to documents of
which the RFC Editor is the publisher.  I haven't seen it and
IANAL, but that might hinge on whether publisher 17487 is
nominally the RFC Editor or the IETF Trust.  I'm not sure I care
what the answer is, but it would be interesting, and possibly
useful, to know, _especially_ if one wants to make expansion to
other uses easy.

More important, and where I hope we are in agreement given your
earlier comments, if we are going to expand DOI assignment into
other documents and uses, I'd like to be sure the community has
the opportunity to understand the issues (including any database
or document stability requirements and/or requests) and comment
on that (one use or carefully-identified cluster of uses at a
time) rather than having it be announced on, e.g., for the
far-fetched Jabber log example, some meeting arrangements or
tools list with the assumption that anyone who cares about
anything is monitoring that list carefully and that discussion
there is therefore sufficient to commit the community.

best,
    john