Re: Call for comment: <draft-iab-doi-04.txt> (Assigning Digital Object Identifiers to RFCs)

2015-07-07 03:37:45

On 7/7/15 10:27 AM, Melinda Shore wrote:
On 7/6/15 11:36 PM, Eliot Lear wrote:
There goes the whistle.  Unsupported assertion while claiming same,
Offense.  5 yard penalty.  How about instead pointing out the incorrect
statements and test your assertion?
I assume that this is some sort of sports metaphor?

I've pointed this out several times but the justifications
presented in the intro are largely false, and if they're
not false it's because they're hedged.  Statements like
"organizations that use DOIs can have trouble locating
documents that don't have DOIs" are true only because of
the presence of the word "can"; I think you'd be extremely
hard-pressed to find an organization that can't track down
a publicly-available document that doesn't have a DOI
assigned.

That seems like a fair criticism, and at the very least calls for some
justification for that particular sentence.  Thank you for being specific.

There have also been suggestions that since the local part
of a DOI is opaque its structure doesn't actually matter.
I would argue that its structure doesn't matter to the
IDF but should matter to us, much in the same way that
a protocol that carries an encrypted blob of something
doesn't care about what's inside that blob but the blob's
sender and recipients care a very great deal.  That's
a feature of plain old layering and encapsulation.  At
this point we have enough experience with naming to be
reluctant to adopt flat namespaces when avoidable, I think.

Do we have any reason to believe that we will be scaling a DOI to beyond
the use of RFC such that a flat name won't suffice?  Additional
hierarchy comes with its own complexities.

I'm not opposed to putting DOIs on RFCs despite seeing scant
benefit from doing so.  I am opposed to putting out documents
that provide justifications that are not actually correct.

Fair enough.

Eliot