Re: opaque, was Call for comment: <draft-iab-doi-04.txt> (Assigning Digital Object Identifiers to RFCs)

2015-07-05 15:09:14
I'm sorry, but this discussion has just taken a leap into the absurd.

To use his example, Andy knows how to get from
10.1364/JOCN.4.000001 to a particular journal, volume, and page
number and he is almost certainly going to do that by using the
algorithm in his head.

I'm not Andy, and I use DOIs somewhat differently. Keeping in mind that the D in DOI stands for Digital, and that everything with a DOI is supposed to be available online, if I want to read the article, I point my browser at https://dx.doi.org/10.1364/jocn.4.000001 which redirects me to a page that tells me that if I don't have a subscription, I have to pay $35. (A little googlage easily finds it for free, but whatever.)

If I'm writing a paper using a program that does DOI expansion (bibxml for example), I stick the DOI into a reference and it expands to this:

Chiu, A. L., Choudhury, G., Clapp, G., Doverspike, R., Feuer, M., Gannett, J. W., … Xu, D. (2011). Architectures and Protocols for Capacity Efficient, Highly Dynamic and Highly Resilient Core Networks [Invited]. Journal of Optical Communications and Networking, 4(1), 1. doi:10.1364/jocn.4.000001

I got the DOI in the first place by looking it up somewhere, such as by typing the title into IEEE Xplore or Google Scholar, or by following
a reference from this paper:

https://www.osapublishing.org/oe/fulltext.cfm?uri=oe-21-1-469&id=248015#articleReferences

If Andy can do all this in his head, he is a much better man than I am.

Regards,