Re: [DNSOP] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-onion-tld-00.txt> (The .onion Special-Use Domain Name) to Proposed Standard

2015-07-15 14:54:44
On 07/15/2015 11:46 AM, Edward Lewis wrote:
What if I copied the onion draft, changed all of the uses of onion to
carrot, and then threw in some supporting documents to describe some other
system that used carrot as it's base identifier?  On the heels of onion's
admission to the Special Use Domain Names registry, could I expect to have
carrot admitted too?
1. Do you seriously think DNSOP would have had consensus to advance such a draft? 2. If DNSOP did have consensus to advance such a draft, what would your objection be?

I think that DNSOP would not advance such a draft unless a lot of reasonable people decided that they believed that .carrot was needed. And if DNSOP did indeed advance such a draft, I think that it would be the right thing to do to go to ICANN and say "what do you guys think about this?" I don't think we would be in a position to make demands, but we should be able to have the conversation.