Re: [DNSOP] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-onion-tld-00.txt> (The .onion Special-Use Domain Name) to Proposed Standard

2015-07-15 16:55:30
On 7/14/15, 15:24:

The IESG has received a request from the Domain Name System Operations WG
(dnsop) to consider the following document:
- 'The .onion Special-Use Domain Name'
 <draft-ietf-dnsop-onion-tld-00.txt> as Proposed Standard

Having read the document plus Ted Hardie's and David Conrad's (who happens
to be my boss in real life) comments, I see the documentation as
insufficient.

As David says, .onion-names use is independent (to some extent) on whether
"onion" is registered in the Special Use Domain Names registry.  What I am
writing here isn't a statement about whether "onion" is to registered, but
about the document applying for registration.

The document defines the use of the name by referring to a couple of
references, none of which appears to be published in a way that can be
referenced except by URL.  Not to say that the documents seen are poorly
written, still there's no evidence of peer review nor stable reference
point.  (One reference is a well prepared PDF, loaded on Jan 23, 2013 with
many other documents to a website that itself has this blurb at the
bottom: "Historical page reflecting onion-router.net as of 2005, not
regularly maintained. Address questions to...")  This is not a critique of
the content of the PDF, just the ability to rely on it for a decision.

The document also shows no evidence of the deployment of the use of the
names below "onion."  In David's email, and in others, there are comments
regarding an "installed base".  I've only seen any discussion about an
installed base in email, this is not in the documents.  In (say) 50 years,
what matters is what is in the published RFC, not the mailing lists.
Presence in the documents being put forward is important.

(E.g., has anyone consulted the annual DNS-OARC DITL data to measure how
often "onion" names are seen at root servers during that collection?)

Drilling into the criteria that are presented.  Not all of them.

1. Users.  The draft states "human users are expected to recognize .onion
names as..."  How are users supposed to recognize them as (special)?  In
as much as the document says nothing about evidence of deployment and
adoption, how can an expectation be developed?  If I hadn't been reading
the thread on DNSOP, I wouldn't have thought "onion" was special - but I
live in a cave, so what I think isn't important.

4. Caching DNS Servers and
5. Authoritative DNS Servers

I really believe that for DNS elements, there should be no change.  By
intent, the onion names are not to be presented to the DNS by what's in
category 2 and 3 (Applications and Name Resolution API's respectively).  I
see placing any requirement on DNS elements - and by that I mean the
software used to implement the DNS standard - as a bad idea, under the
heading of "permanent fix to a temporary situation."  (I.e., Tor may not
be permanent, if it is, as software matures onion names will not be in DNS
queries.)

6. DNS Operators

Having had experience with that field, I don't see this being a reliable
"rule."  In general, when a customer loads a zone into a system, there's
no way to check whether they have the "right" to use the name.  This is
more an issue I have with RFC 6761 and in general how the documents are
used in operations than a comment on the "onion" application.
Nevertheless, I wouldn't rely rule on operators, given that anyone can set
up a name server (the code is free and privileged user accounts are easy
on laptops), to be an effective means to enforce name restrictions.

7. DNS Registrars/Registries

This is the place where a case should be made for the registering "onion"
as a Special Use Domain Name.  Given the story to date, that "onion" is
not to be in the DNS, then don't change the protocol (5,6 above) but then
set up barriers to putting it in the DNS (7 here).  If you do that, then
Name Resolution libraries (3 above) will return "name error" or NXDOMAIN
to all queries in the onion domain of names.  I see this as where
registry policy documents can "point" (by reference) to a list of names
that are specially reserved or restricted.

I'm agreeing with Ted in that this application is insufficient.  I'm
agreeing with David in that designating "onion" in such a way as to fix
the "CAB Forum" stuff is acceptable.  My concern is that, if this
application proceeds as documented, the precedent being set could be
regrettable.