Re: the names that aren't DNS names problem, was Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-onion-tld-00.txt>

2015-07-21 03:54:33

On Jul 21, 2015, at 4:49 AM, Eliot Lear <lear(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> wrote:

On 7/21/15 10:25 AM, George Michaelson wrote:
you can take the discussion here as indicating some loud voices for "RFC
6761 was a mistake" so the -BIS document should consider one option being to
say "we made a mistake: we don't do this"

Just don't consider me one of those voices.  We can always do better, but
it's not like we're piling on the names in that registry.

This may not be a particularly good assumption. We have five requests being
actively pursued in the WG at the moment, and were told yesterday in so many
words that there are more to come.

The effort we’ve put into handling just one (.onion) is not going to scale well
to even 10x, particularly if we want add some form of active coordination with
another body’s processes.

Suzanne