Re: Last Call: Recognising RFC1984 as a BCP

2015-08-10 15:18:43
The IESG has received a request from an individual participant to make
the following status changes:

- RFC1984 from Informational to Best Current Practice
    (IAB and IESG Statement on Cryptographic Technology and the Internet)

The supporting document for this request can be found here:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/status-change-rfc1984-to-best-current-practice/

This document pertains to an especially important and difficult topic.
If IETF approval of such a document is to have the utility we expect for
it, we need to be clear about that intended effect, clear how the
document addresses it, and clear about its robustness against
misinterpretation or dismissal by those needing to attend to the
document but disinclined to do so or actively interested in undermining it.

The supporting document asserts consensus within the ad-hoc saag group
has a number of basic problems.  So the document is an individual
submission but relies on purported group rough consensus that was never
established.

First, saag is an accidental group that had no specific, documented task
for considering this draft.  As such, some who might have wished to
participate in thoughtful discussion of this topic had no way to know
about it.

Second, discussion on the list was entirely ad hoc, with no convergence
and (rough) consensus processes.  The only consensus-related process
concerning this document was during the saag session during the IETF
meeting in Prague.  There was no followup on the saag mailing list or
any other.  Hence the supporting document's second paragraph's reasons
for rejecting an effort to revise the document have no documentable
foundation.

As an example of the randomness of the mailing list discussions, points
I raised about the reasons a revised document is needed to respond to
the current pervasive monitoring concerns received no substantive

Making a carefully-considered (rough) consensus choice against concerns
is one thing.  Ignoring them completely is quite another.

The relevant portions of my posting to the saag list: