Re: Last Call: Recognising RFC1984 as a BCP

2015-08-13 13:23:22
On Aug 10, 2015, at 10:13, The IESG <iesg-secretary(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org> wrote:

- RFC1984 from Informational to Best Current Practice
   (IAB and IESG Statement on Cryptographic Technology and the Internet)

I support this change.

And I would like the IETF to consider issuing a new Informational document to
update RFC 1984 for the purpose of expanding on the following statement, which
appears in the original text:

   [...] But PFS is generally incompatible with schemes
   involving escrow of private keys.  (This is an oversimplification,
   but a full analysis would be too lengthy for this document.)

I suppose it’s possible (I haven’t searched) that a document has already been
written that contains this full analysis, in which case it should suffice to
mark RFC 1984 as updated by that document. If such a document does not exist,
then I really think it’s long past time that one be written to answer the
predictable complaint from non-technical policy-makers that the IETF nerds
aren’t communicating effectively why a naïve approach to their government
policy problems is doomed to fail.

—james