Re: Time to encourage interims instead of main meetings?

2015-08-19 03:50:35
On 2015-08-18 19:15, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
Historically there has been a pushback on a WG holding an interim
meeting instead of meeting at an IETF main meeting. Yes, cross-WG
communication and all that.

However, looking at my schedule, I really can't see myself justifying
what will be a two week interruption to fly out to Yokohama for a two
hour meeting and more importantly, I don't think many of the folk who I
would be looking to collaborate with at that meeting will either.

Now that IETF main meeting time is becoming an increasingly scarce
commodity, perhaps it is time to re-evaluate the old view that interim
meetings should not be a substitute for having a session at a main
meeting and instead start encouraging that for certain types of work.

Particularly early on in a WG, a two day interim can be a lot more use
than a two hour main meeting event.

Planing interims (esp. finding a time and place that folks can get
travel approval for) is usually a horrible exercise though...