Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-dane-openpgpkey-05.txt> (Using DANE to Associate OpenPGP public keys with email addresses) to Proposed Standard

2015-09-11 01:44:27
Preface: I've been working on this note intermittently for a few
days.  I think I've eliminated inconsistencies that arose during
that process, but please forgive me if not.

It seems to me that there are two major clusters of issues with
this spec.  One set have to do with interactions with earlier,
standards-track, models for storing keys or certificates in the
DNS.   Simon and Bill have addressed that and I assume can be
counted upon to continue to do so if needed.  I do believe,
however, that a proposed Experimental spec should not be
proposing to do something that overlaps heavily with the goals
of a standards track spec, yet does things differently, without
commenting on, and proposing to update or depreciate the earlier
spec.  Note in a mail message that say, essentially, "we talked
about that and decided the old spec was a bad idea" do not seem
to me to be sufficient for that purpose.

The second relates to interactions with the email environment
and DNS scaling, especially the relationship between whatever is
used as a DNS lookup key and the email address.  Those seems to
be the main theme of John Levine's remarks and are the topics I
want to address.

--On Wednesday, September 09, 2015 16:49 -0400 "John R. Levine"