Re: Is IAB MarNEW workshop transparent enough?

2015-09-20 12:34:40
Thanks for your comment, Göran.

I think we should let the IAB figure out what they want
to do here.

I just wanted to up-level the discussion a bit and make
two observations. The first one is that some of the things
we discuss at the IETF - including many IAB workshops -
are generally interesting. Interesting not just for my
colleague who cannot make it there, but interesting
to many people, and discuss topics that may have impacts
to lots of people. It is natural that there is interest, and
that interest is a sign of success in picking up the right
topics to discuss.

The other observation is that event organisers often
struggle with the practical tradeoffs, and it is fair to note
that there are downsides (equipment, passing mics etc).
Personally, I think the trouble is worth it almost always,
unless it really is impossible to set it up, which can of
course happen occasionally. I would also like to add that we
have a lot of running code on opening up meetings that have
some sensitive discussions. The IAB workshops sometimes do
benefit from being able to discuss, e.g., ongoing security
vulnerabilities in my network or something else that I
wouldn’t necessarily want to tell everybody openly.
But as an example, the IESG telechats are open for
anybody to listen in, but in case we need to discuss,
 e.g., personnel issues we will have an executive session.

Anyway, in short, a big +1 from me on making workshops
as visible to the interested parties as possible.

Jari