Re: Is IAB MarNEW workshop transparent enough?

2015-09-22 12:49:42
On 21 Sep 2015, at 13:53, Göran Eriksson AP wrote:

Personally, I can understand the difficulty in enabling live TV broadcast
of such an event as well as near impossibility to cover fully the
discussions in smaller teams, breaks and similar that often takes place in
this type of tet-a-tet’s.

However, I think it is of value for both IETF and GSMA to go that extra mile in this case to ensure “data” is open. It is quite likely that that is the intent and plan of both IAB and GSMA but it is not evident from the information available so far, which is why I felt a need to put the
question(s).

I'm very much in listening mode on this discussion at the moment, trying to form an opinion driven by the community consensus. Toward that end, I have a question about your proposed approach.

From a logistics point of view, considering that this workshop is being organized by folks without having asked for a the major corporate sponsorship (however, thank you to AT&T for providing the room for MaRNEW!) that would be required for multiple cameras, a crew to operate them, and enough space, power, and cooling for all of that equipment to coexist with the participants (effectively a good-sized TV studio), with none of the organizers being video production people -- how would you go about getting a stream of high enough quality to matter to the interested parties? I'm really not trying to say "no" with this question, I'm hoping you have an answer that we can use at a future workshop.

I'm also worried about the negative impact to the conversation that would ensue from putting folks on camera that have sound architectural ideas but are not used to speaking in public or don't have English as their first language, so hopefully your approach will be unobtrusive enough that the people in the room can more-or-less forget that they are being streamed. We achieve that at IETF meetings by constraining the conversation to fixed camera positions, with a team of folks that can reposition cameras when necessary. However, for an in-person architecture discussion, the friction that this approach adds has the potential to impact the technical work to the point of making the discussion a waste of time.

I have some other concerns, but I think the might be able to be worked through if there is a logistical approch that is feasible in the real world.

--
Joe Hildebrand