Re: PGP security models, was Summary of IETF LC for draft-ietf-dane-openpgpkey

2015-09-23 16:03:22
Paul Wouters <paul(_at_)nohats(_dot_)ca> writes:

On Wed, 23 Sep 2015, John R Levine wrote:

Sure, but once again you're no better off than if you got the key
anywhere else.  I understand the argument for better key servers and
maybe better ways to discover key servers (a URI record should do
it), but I don't understand the argument for a whole new mechanism
with new security, scaling, and semantic problems.

Some people disagree with you and think DNSSEC is a viable PKI for their
intended use. These people want to use DNSSEC. We can give those people
an experimental RFC with OPENPGPKEY record, or we can force them to use
an individual submitted draft with a TXT record stalled until expiry.

Or they can use the already specified CERT record, which GnuPG supports.
Yes, CERT has its own share of problems, that you have explained, but I
don't see that any of the issues you brought up with CERT (that I mostly
agree with, FWIW) has had bearing on its deployment success or not.

/Simon