Re: PGP security models, was Summary of IETF LC for draft-ietf-dane-openpgpkey

2015-09-24 06:54:39
Simon Josefsson <simon(_at_)josefsson(_dot_)org> writes:

In particular section 3.3 explains how a OpenPGP key for
leslie@host.example would lead to a CERT record on the
leslie.host.example domain.  See

Which is very much part of the problem.  RFC 103[45] have mbox names
which unfortunately causes namespace collisions.  Usernames and
hostnames shouldn't be in the same namespace.  RFC 4398 continues
to have that problem.

I don't see that as a problem.

To my knowledge, associating an OpenPGP key with a host is rare, and
when it happens the usual best practice in the OpenPGP world has been to
"invent" a email address like root(_at_)host(_dot_)example(_dot_)org and put
that in the
OpenPGP key.  So no collisions happen.

Even if a collision would happen, it is not a show-stopper.  You just
put two CERT records at the same name.  The client will need to have
functionality to figure out which key out of several to use anyway.

Btw, how does draft-ietf-dane-openpgpkey handle OpenPGP keys for
hostnames?  I don't see anything in it.  I propose that
username<->hostname collisions for OpenPGP is a non-issue.

/Simon